Saturday, December 19, 2009

Timing

Life move much slower for me now. Everything I do is slow. I talk slow, walk slow and think slow. It is quite frustrating, but I keep telling myself it is just temporary.

In addition to being slow, I have trouble getting things done because I am in bed sleeping or just resting at least 14 hours a day. Every day. My schedule is pretty much the same as a two year old. I absolutely can not make it through he day without my nap and I seldom see 10 PM. Paul says I just don't get done as much as I used to. I say I am still accomplishing very much - it is called HEALING!

One thing that I find extremely interesting is that all of the effects of chemo happen on a schedule. I can time the event down almost to the minute. I know that I will feel better on Friday after chemo at about 7 PM. My back starts to hurt every Sunday during church and hurts until Tuesday at bedtime. My chemo nurse told me to write down what was happening so I could predict it. Boy, was she right about that one.

One more note about my hormones. This week, the doctor gave me a shot that he said would help with the hot flashes that are keeping me up at night. When he told me he could do that, I almost kissed him. (Didn't want you think I was always angry at him.) Turns out that the drug was the same shot they use as quarterly birth control. Interesting that it is a multipurpose medication. Who figures these things out?

I will continue to have chemo over the holidays. Since the next two Fridays are Christmas and New Year's Day, I will have chemo on Thursday for two weeks. This is a much better option than checking to the hospital to have chemo on Christmas. Chemo at the hospital was fine; it went very smoothly. However, it was majorly depressing. The other patients in there were really, really sick and fighting for their lives. I almost felt guilty for hogging up space in one of the chairs. I am very thankful that I do not have to repeat that experience on Christmas.

"With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow is keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:8-9

1 comment:

  1. Well tell Paul to speak for himself, you don't seem slow to the rest of us! ;) That's the beauty of being a high achiever-- you can slack a little and still be far ahead of the rest of us.

    Plus, it is the only opportunity I'll probably ever have to impress your kids, so stop complaining and let the slow girls and slacker moms catch up to you for once. Then you can add "generous" to the list of things you are during chemo that most people aren't during normal times. Great, now I have to catch up again! :)

    Love you,
    E

    ReplyDelete