Monday, February 8, 2010

Just What the Doctor Ordered

Our vacation was exactly what we needed. I benefited the most from the time away, but Paul and the boys will definitely report that they had a great time. I had two major accomplishments while we were gone. First, I made friends with my new very, very short hair and even allowed my picture to be taken a few times. Second, on the two week anniversary of my last chemo when I was kissing a stingray* and snorkeling, I felt as if I personally had just won the Superbowl. Definitely a win for God and I over cancer and yuck!

(*Just an aside about kissing the stingrays, if you visit the Cayman Islands, you should not miss the chance to do this. It was incredible.)

Today, I feel as if my brain is waking up. I went to Bible study this morning and was almost overstimulated by all of the things going on. I was aware of the other people and their movement. I was actually able to listen and understand what they were talking about. I did not realize how dull my senses and brain had become. I mean, I knew it was bad. I just didn't know how bad. I am looking forward to more and more clarity as the chemo clears my system.

As for as the rest of me, I am still napping every afternoon. However, the naps are getting shorter and I am sleeping less at night. I am trying to be very patient and remember to sit down and rest when I am tired, so I will continue to heal as quickly possible.

Tomorrow I am having a PET scan. I don't know exactly what this will entail, but it has quite an interesting set of preparation guidelines. No strenuous exercise for two days (that is an easy one), no caffeine, sugar, or carbs after noon today. That means I can have meat and lettuce for dinner, no sauce, no dressing. Ok, but a little strange. On Thursday, I am meeting with my oncologist to discuss the test results and then with the radiologist to get set for radiation. I call this double header doctor day. I am praying things go very smoothly and the my test clearly reveals that I am completely cancer free.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22

1 comment:

  1. I shall continue with the prayers. I am so glad that your vacation brought some healing to all of you, and isn't it wonderful to "feel" again!!

    ReplyDelete