Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vacation (**now with an addition)

I declare an official week of vacation. Vacation from doctor's appointments, vacation from needles, vacation from waiting rooms full of bad magazines, vacation from analyzing blood tests, vacation from endlessly obsessing about my health. Coincidentally, we are taking an actual vacation too!

We really need the break. We are going to spend the week remembering what is to be normal family instead of a family in crisis. I am really looking forward to having a conversation with my husband that is 1)longer than 10 minutes, 2)not in a waiting room (see above), 3)not about one of the above mentioned topics, 4)not held when I am in a state of semi-consciousness so I will have a chance of remembering it later. We need a chance to relate to each other as friends/companions not just as sick girl and man who fetches stuff. Also, I have promised the boys some time alone with each of them to have real conversations too. Conversations with them about anything other than you-must-get-this-done-now or help-me-please have been a bit scarce our house in recent weeks. I am hopeful that a few days together, relaxing and having fun, will make us all remember why we like each other. Then it is right back for doctors, tests, and radiation...that is a story for another day.

***Later... further proof that we need to get out of here. Last night the boys were messing around and being a little wild. At one point Andrew (for lack of a better word) body checked Ben, who then body checked me right into the wall. I yelled, "Ow!" and hit the floor. Immediately both boys were crying hysterically because they though they had hurt me. Paul came rushing into the room yelling, "What did you do? What did you do?" After everyone calmed down and they realized that I wasn't really hurt, there were still more tears of "I sorry" and "I hope I didn't hurt you". You can see we are still on edge and there is a lot of tension lurking beneath the surface. I think we need a vacation...

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 28:28-30

1 comment:

  1. praying for a blessed time of renewal and reconnection with you and your men!

    ReplyDelete