Saturday, July 4, 2009

Welcome Friends

I am a little uncomfortable with this whole blog thing, I tend to be on the side of less technology, more human interaction. However, we have been so marvelously blessed to have so many of you calling and asking and wondering about how we are doing that I have turned to this give you info.

First, the medical info. If you already know this, skip to the end. In February, I found a new lump in my left breast. I went to the doctor who promptly sent me in for my first mammogram. (BTW for all you young ladies - I did not find it as bad as advertised. Please go and get one soon!) The mammogram showed that my breast was clear, but there were some enlarged lymph nodes under my arm. Speculating that is was just an infection, the doctor prescribed a course of strong antibiotics. The follow-up ultrasound of the area showed that the lymph nodes were still enlarged. So, we went to see the surgeon. He was not too alarmed, but agreeed that the lymph nodes should be removed. I had this surgery on June 2. Four days later the pathology showed breast cancer in those nodes. However, the primary source of the cancer was still not identified. (Cancer can't start in lymph nodes.) We spent the next few weeks meeting with the oncologist and having all kinds of tests to check for further cancer. All of my bones and organs are clear. The cancer is localized to my left breast and lymph nodes. An MRI of my breast showed a spot in the place I originally felt it. On Thursday, I had a biopsy of the spot. Now we wait....

We meet with the surgeon again on Thursday (9th) to discuss the results of the biopsy and schedule surgery. This surgery will be to remove all of the lymph nodes from under my arm, put in a port for chemo and, depending on the results of the biopsy, give me a partial mastectomy. After that, in 2 to 4 weeks there will be chemo, then radiation, followed by long term hormone therapy.

Now the rest...Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your prayers, calls, e-mails, cards and hugs. You don't know it, but sometimes just hearing your voice on the machine or reading the card over and over is the best part of my day. I feel as if buckets and buckets of love were being poured out on my head. Sometimes I don't call back or respond, but please don't think I didn't notice or care. I really appreciated it.

What to do now... In the next few weeks we may need some help. Mom is going to come and stay as much as she can. I am trying to work it out so that she can come for surgery and take the kids back to Missouri so that they will miss the first round of chemo. I'm sure I will need someone to babysit me them. Paul has to travel a few times in August and he is already fretting about that.

Also, we love it when you hug us and ask how we are doing, but please never have a medical conversation in front of our kids. We will be happy to tell you all about it when they are not around. We have had several incidents of them getting freaked out my a random cancer conversations when they were not expecting it.

Mostly we need you to pray for us. This week especially we need prayer that the spot that was found is the source of the cancer.
Here is another partial list of our prayer requests:
That we will be free from fear and full of the peace that passes all understanding from God
That we will rest in that peace and be able to sleep
That the cancer will be healed quickly and completely
That I will have loving and wise doctors and nurses
That every day as we walk though this valley we will sense the prescence of God walking with us and that each day we will love Him more as He holds our hands.

One final thought... Andrew wanted to call the blog "Cancer Makes Us Crazy" but we decided "It's a Wonderful Life" was better. Even though I have cancer, we do feel that we are incredibly blessed and live a wonderful life surround by people we love and are loved by an amazing King who provides for us so abundantly. We are confident that we will emerge from this as stronger, better people who love God so much, and in the end, will be grateful for this experience in our life.
Love to you all, Cara

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! You posted your first blog!!!! I knew you could do it! More waiting...this is good for us, learning to wait makes us realize who is really in control, but it sure is difficult.
    Sure wish I was closer to San Antonio to help you out! I'll do everything I can from here in St. Louis, even if it is just to call and harass you!
    It is a wonderful life and I pray that you keep up the good attitude. I am so glad you caught this before it went any further and I know you will be healed. Jesus is bigger than cancer!!!
    Next thing we need to do is get you to post some pictures up here...I know, I know, I am asking a lot. But people want to see your beautiful family and pets too!
    More later. Have a great rest of your weekend.
    Lots o' Love,
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that we are impressed with your level of technicologicalplay! Well done! AS alsways you and yours will be in our prayers. We are hoping that surgery and recovery can come sooner rather than later, but all things in God's time. Lots of love from the IOWA KEETONS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara,
    I know that you are a very strong person, and I know that there will also be times that you feel as stron as you think you should. That is when we will be there to help you and support you in any way that we can. Doug and I are thinking about you and you are in my prayers every night. I will certainly do all I can to make this difficult time a little better for you, Paul and the boys. Take care.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara:
    Know it's been along time and many miles but I think of my time at LHSSC often and thank God for all the wonderful students I was blessed to work with. Your family and you are in Mrs. Lentsch's and my prayers. God will be there and will walk with you all the way. He let me know during my cancer surgery last year that he was carrying me and looking over me and he still does today.
    BLESSINGS!!
    Mr. L

    ReplyDelete