Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Random Thoughts

My kiddos are making the long drive home from Missouri right now. I am ready for them to come home. All in all, the week was a total success. I got to rest. Paul and I spent some much needed time together. The kids, of course, has an incredible time at the farm. Mom got to be at home with Dad. Dad pronounced it "the best visit ever". How's that for a good week?

I was fighting with stomach issues all week and finally realized the problem was the iron pills the doctor wanted me to take. I took myself off the pills and now my stomach is lot happier.

I had a lot of time on my own to think this week. Here are a few of the things that occurred to me.

1. Estrogen deprivation (Remember this a good thing for my cancer. My cancer eats estrogen to live.) causes tons of annoying symptoms that I would have never suspected. The worst one for me is the loss of my verbal skills. I am having very much difficultly spelling, using correct grammar, recalling words, and even reading aloud. The hot flashes are no fun either!

2. Having my kids with me all day, everyday, is hard, but I think it keeps me out of a huge, depressive funk. I found myself wallowing in "poor me" much more than usual this week.

3. I am still amazed at God's excellent timing and provision for us. Whenever I need something - encouragement, food, a phone call - it always arrives. Thanks God!

4. My mom is amazing. Not only does she come here and take care of us, but she enjoys it. And, she always makes sure there are flowers on my table.

5. I feel sorry for Paul. We are really in this together as never before, only he is alone. I am no longer capable of having a high level discussion about anything, except maybe that weird bump on my arm, for more than about ten minutes. Then my mind is off and running. I have no focus, no concentration. This is especially difficult when discussing the most fascinating topic in the world... insurance! (Love you very much dear.)

6. Finally, you dear blog readers. I know you are there because I have put a counter on the blog. Sneaky, I know. Some of you have told me you are reading it. Thank you very much. As for the rest of you, I would appreciate if you would let me know you are out there so I no longer feel as if I am writing to the abyss. Comment, e-mail, whatever. Just let me know you are there. Sort of a virtual way to let me feel your love and support. Thanks!

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen in temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
(Thanks for sharing Diane!)

3 comments:

  1. Cara, I am reading and thinking about what you are writing. You are doing a good thing for all of us. You are giving us perspective. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara, there was an author and his wife, an 9 year breast cancer survivor, on the Today Show taking about the men who are connected to women with breast cancer. The book is called Stand by Your Woman: A Breat Cancer Guide for Men by John W. Anderson. There is an excerpt on todayshow.com. I thought your blog was a perfect place to mention it.
    I continue to to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey chicky, you know I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete