Thursday, September 3, 2009

I am a Bald Girl Now

A few more thoughts about being bald.
* It no longer matters what I wear, or even if my clothes match; people are only looking at my hat.
*The wind feels weird when it hits your head.
*The skin under your hair is really soft, like baby skin and very white.
*It is surprising to touch your head and feel the temperature of your hand.
*Even if you have on a hat, everyone secretly wants a peek at your bald head.
*There is a strange wrinkle on your neck at the base of your head.
*As a bonus, my armpit hair and leg hair is falling out. No more shaving; Yeah!
My dad has added himself to the ranks of baldies in my honor. If you are keeping score that is two men, two boys, and one woman who is an honorary baldy. She made a serious offer to go bald with me, but I just couldn't let her. I love you all for standing with me in this way.

One thing I have learned in this journey is that everyone has their own gift. Each person is able to support me in their own unique way. All of this support comes together to surround me in a cocoon of love. When someone takes care of me, or goes out of their way to show me love, all I see are the hands of Jesus. This is truly the body of Christ in action.

Tomorrow is chemo number two. I am praying that it will go even better than number one. After this, it is two down, fourteen to go. I am doing pretty well. I ran around and got a lot done today to get ready for next week. I even made it until about four PM before I started to get a little anxious. Trying to pray that out too. I am trying to focus on the good things like the Popsicle and the big bag of Benadryl that will allow me to take a great nap.

Please keep praying that the chemo is effective at eradicating the cancer and only the cancer, that the side effects are minimal, and that my energy will be quickly restored. Also, please pray protection from additional illness for all of us in the house. A case of the flu could really be trouble for me now. Pray for Paul, Mom and the kids to handle the extra burden that is placed on them while I am feeling bad. Pray that God will eradicate all of our fears and we will cling ever tighter to Him. Thanks for joining us. We love you.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phililppians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment