This week we visited with our new friend, the oncologist, about starting chemotherapy. He was very positive and encouraging. He was delighted with the surgical results (as we were - thank you, God). He said that if I were older, or in bad health, we might be able to stop here and assume that all of the cancer was out. However, I am young, and we want to do everything in our power to kill this cancer right now so that it never, ever returns to my body. So, on August 14, I will start six months of chemo.
For the first twelve weeks, I will go in every three weeks for a chemo cocktail called FEC. After that, I will have twelve weeks of another drug called Taxol that will be administered every week. And, yes, after this there will still be radiation.
The doctor assures us I will lose my hair about two weeks after the first treatment. It will not grow back until the chemo is over. Other than that, he indicated all other side effects would be treatable and, for the most part preventable. I am not too worried about my hair, but I am really going to miss my eyelashes.
We are incredibly blessed to have my mom ready and willing to come stay with us whenever we need her. She is going to log many, many frequent flyer miles as she travels back and forth from Missouri in the coming months. Her willingness to be here is such a gift to me. I know she will take care of everything I need to get done and take care of me as well. There is no one one you want to hold your hand and tuck you in when you are sick more than your mom.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Pray that the treatment will be effective and the side effects will be minimal. Please especially pray that I will have enough energy to do all that I need to do, especially homeschooling and BSF. My friend Reagan asked me the other night if I could feel the prayers. The answer is YES, YES, YES. I can feel you all loving and praying for me. (Reagan & Cody loved the visit - we miss you!)
We are going to take a quick trip to the coast this week before chemo starts. We all need a little break from endless doctor visits and cancer talk. I especially need something to look forward to besides my next visit to the doctor.
You continue to flood our house with cards, calls, e-mails and gifts. Thank you so much. We appreciate every one. With love to you all, Cara
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised" Job 1:21
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm wondering if the question that just came to me, came to you during the oncologist visit: are you allowed to wear fake eyelashes during treatment? If so, do we need to get busy finding someone who has the first clue about how those work, because this friend will not be any help in that department, nor do you want me penciling in fake eyebrows :)
ReplyDelete