Thursday, January 7, 2010

Poisoning

I am a prolific blog writer this week. Don't get used to it, spastic is more descriptive of what I am!

So many of you are asking how I am. The plain truth is that while for about 4 and a half months of the chemo I held pretty steady, I am now going down hill. In the last month I have become significantly weaker. I am tired on a new level all of the time. Frequently, there are days by afternoon simply getting up to walk is a real challenge. The doctor warned us about this. It is the accumulation of the toxins (I like to call them poisons!) in my system. Therefore, I expect my downhill slide will continue until the chemo is over. I have three more treatments.

We are doing the best we can to manage. I have cut out all extra activities. I may have to quit doing to Bible Study too in the next few weeks, but that is bad for my spirits and makes me depressed, so that will be a last resort (maybe we will quit school first - that would make the kids happy!). Mom will be here on Monday to help with the boys and the laundry. Really what I need to now most is rest, rest, rest. Please don't be offended if I don't return your phone call. I appreciated it; I was just too tired.

Along with the physical battle, Paul and I are fighting a huge spiritual battle to avoid being swallowed up by all of this. We have come so far and done so well, but there seems to be a giant ocean that we have to cross before the finish line. Daily I am praying to God to arm me for this battle so that Satan can not whisper his words of depression and despair into my ear. Right now I seem to love the songs from childhood best, so now my favorite song is a VBS song about how the lions can eat my body, but they can't swallow my soul. Ben sings it to me daily. The good news is victory is assured, we just have to press on to the finish. (Love that, don't you!)

Please keep us in your prayers.

"Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1Peter 5:8

Same verse very well said in the Message:
"Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce,and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You are not the only one plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on faith. The suffering won't last forever. It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ- eternal and glorious plans they are! - will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word; yes he does."

2 comments:

  1. You are a blogging maniac! I know it is all wearing on you, but you are loved and supported. We'll up the prayer frequency for you the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,
    I sent your mom a powerful email. I wanted to post it here for you to see, but comment space is limited. If you think to ask her, it is called Quilt of Holes. It is my way of telling you that you may be having some horrible trials, but I feel that you always turn things over to God and He hears you. God bless you and keep you in His care!

    ReplyDelete