Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tis the Season

Christmas and New Years have passed, so now we enter the season of...thank you notes! I wish I could write a personal one to all of you who encourage, help and pray for me daily. However, there is one note that I do have to write...

Dear God,
I want to thank You for the gifts You gave me this year. At first, I wanted to reject your gifts as they were all tied up in that ugly black bow. But since I had no choice, I politely opened the box and this is what I found inside.


First, there was a large bundle of humility. I had to learn that I could not do everything on my own power, but had to depend on You and others to take care of me. I also found out that a lot of the things I was worried about getting done didn't really matter all that much.

Under all that humility, there was a big bag of fear and anxiety. I dug right into that bag before I realized it wasn't from You. Someone else entirely put that bundle in the gift. Once I put the fear away, I saw the very big pile of courage You had waiting for me to pick up.

I really didn't want all of that patience you sent. I know I kept asking for more and more but I think I forgot that I would have to use it when I got it. I use it daily as I wait for doctors, test, and healing.

I really love the focus You gave to me. I am not very good at using it yet, but when I do I am able to block out all of my pain and weariness by looking directly at You. Along with the focus came extra time. This was time that I was required to sit still, but was able to use to dig into your Word to discover the things You really wanted me to focus on.

You gave my whole family a tiny seed of faith. I looked at it and really thought You had made a mistake. That seed was not enough. But we planted it and, boy, did You make it grow. It is a huge amazing flower that lives in our hearts and perfumes our home.

You sent an abundance of love. Gifts of love came in the hands of each one of your people who stepped up to support me. The magnitude of this gift never ceases to amaze me. People (both close friends and some that I hardly know) have called, visited, prayed, cooked, e-mailed, sent gifts, sent flowers, sent cards, sent hats, driven me home, hugged me, encouraged me, held my hand and so much more. You also provided Mom who continues to reflect your love as she tirelessly cares for my whole family. On top of all of that, You pour your love directly into my heart. Every day, every hour, every minute You sustain me and hold me in your loving arms.

So thanks, God, for all of these things; they are more than I could have ever asked for or imagined. I am sure there are more gifts in that big box that I haven't discovered just yet. I don't know what those gifts will be or how they will be packaged. However, just in case I am slow to say it... thanks for those things too. I love You and I know You love me more than I can ever comprehend. I rest confidently in your perfect plans for my life.


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

1 comment: